Thursday 21 April 2011

So What Makes A Mother ?

When I was younger, I once asked my mother what the best part of her day was, and without second thoughts, her answer was - every second that you call me because you needed me. I found it absurd knowing the fact that almost every minute we would call her to fix things for us, even as simple as getting an extra blanket because we were too lazy to get it ourselves.Growing up watching my mom juggle too many things at the same time had me thinking of never wanting to become a mother someday.

Fortunately, the good heavens above twisted my fate and turned the tides and eventually had me traverse to the other side of maternal phobia. And these are some the wonderful things I have learned on my journey of being a mother.

I learned that the phrase "It's Okay, Mommy's here" works like magic; That there is only one pretty face and every mother has it; and that the cliché "Mothers Know Best' oftentimes mean "I told you so" or otherwise signify that you have get your mother's approval on everything even on your choice of women.

Because being a mother means giving life but not living it for your children, it means teaching them things but not learning it for them, letting them know what's right from wrong but not deciding it for them, it means giving them freedom but at the same time not be accountable for them.

Because being a mother is to support your children all the way even if they choose to take the road you don't want them to. Because being a mother is to always be there even if it hurts. Because the unfathomable fact is, you can never stop being a mother.


I know this because I had a very wonderful mom. And now that I am one, the best part of my day is the fact I am important, I am valued, I am needed and I can love my children with unconditional love all my life...And I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment