Sunday 25 March 2012

LIFE BETWEEN PAGES


What would I do without books in my life? This question and the answer to this question gives me goosebumps. Since childhood being the only female child in the family, I had a dream of studying higher and higher, but due to sudden and early demise of my parents I had to discontinue my studies. Everyday trying hard to understand Shakespeare's work, Sanskrit Poems and what not. The most painful moment was when I was watching those book falling from my hand n I knew I will never be able to pick those books again.

Time passed, got married, well settled but still something was missing. I knew what it was. Routine work of every day makes us monotonous. To break it I often look for interesting and exciting things to do. Books were the best way to divert attention side by side with work. There I was again with the books, but not for the same reason.

It is said that an empty mind is devil’s workshop. The moment we sit idle, devil starts instilling evil in our minds. So it is always better to do something constructive in our spare time. Any thing that we do in our spare time is called our hobby. It may or may not help us earn money or reputation. But it does give us pleasure, peace of mind and satisfaction.

But I think that book reading is far better than any other hobbies as it prepares us for life. It covers all the aspects of man’s life and provides both knowledge and pleasure. In this world of strife and struggle where every body is hankering after money, books are selfless friends. They never leave us in the lurch nor do they reap advantages in our distress. They are helpers to the helpless and friends to the friendless. They are the source of wisdom and pleasure. They teach us how to face and overcome difficulties. They advise us to be sober and dignified both in distress both in distress and happiness.

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested. I have a small library in my house. I have collected a number of books on different topics.

I go to library every now-n-then, won lots of books giveaways, host Giveaway as well, give reviews. Recently stepped into writing a book. Hoping to go far with that. So, this way I kept myself,  my time, my passion for reading and my love for books alive in me. And will continue to do the same for my two wonderful gifted kids.

 "Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. Very well written.. No wonder they say a book is a man's best friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kajal....Love ur blog too, just visited n following. I like the idea of ur posts. Day 62/365....

      Delete