Wednesday 7 December 2011

Will This Matter a Year from Now?


     Almost every day I play a game with myself that I call "time warp." I made it up in response to my consistent, erroneous belief that what I was all worked up about was really important.
     To play "time wrap," all you have to do is imagine that whatever circumstance you are dealing with isn't happening right now but a year from now. Then simply ask yourself, "Is this situation really as important as I'm making it out to be?" Once in a great while it may be -  but a vast majority of the time, it simply isn't.
     Whether it be an argument with your spouse, child, or friends, a mistake, a lost opportunity, any kind of problem or circumstance, chances are, a  year from now you aren't going to care. It will be one more irrelevant detail in your life. While this simple game won't solve all your problems, it can give you an enormous amount of needed perspective. I find myself laughing at things that I used to take far too seriously. Now, rather than using up my energy feeling angry and overwhelmed, I can use it instead on spending time with my husband and children or engaging in creative thinking.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. Thanks for the note. Life has been busy. Loved reading this post and catching up. I tweeted and shared it on my fbook blog page. Such wise words. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, and it is so true. Wise words for all of us. Your bookblog.ning friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm a new follower from MBC - I LOVE this post! What a great way to put things in perspective. I look fwd to your future posts!
    Cheers,
    Tess
    inlovebythebeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wise words. I will remember them!
    Hopping from BSN, new follower on GFC.
    Esmeralda @ sciencesosexy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete